1.23.2012

Start the Day Right

It's been said the most important meal of the day is breakfast, we've all heard it before.  I have 5 kids here every morning to get out the door for school and i try to always start them with a good breakfast.  I try to offer them a hot well balanced breakfast, but there is always cereal and toaster waffles for those who don't care for what I've made (picky eaters only get so far in my house).

When I was a kid, my mom used to make me cream of wheat in any color I wanted!  She'd put food coloring in it and we'd get to stir it with the brown sugar in it to make it our color.  Pour a little milk over it and a glass of juice and that was breakfast.  My kids aren't as fond of cream of wheat as I was, but I'm still trying.

I don't color my hot cereal any more, but I still like it, but a bit differently now.  It's so simple and a nice warm filling way to start the day.
Peanut Butter Cream of Wheat
 aka: Banana soup according to O-man
3 Tablespoons of cream of wheat
1/2 - 3/4 cup boiling water
1 Tablespoon of Peanut Butter
1 Banana
1 cup of skim milk

Measure the cream of wheat into a bowl, add peanut butter and slowly pour in hot water, stirring the whole time.  The peanut butter will melt as the cream of wheat thickens with the hot water.  Slice banana on top and pour as much of the milk on top as you like.  The rest of the milk is to drink or add to your morning coffee.  About 300 calories for a warm and filling breakfast, not too shabby!  If you find yourself hungry after only a short time, try adding some ground flax seed.

It never fails that if I start my day off healthy, I eat much healthier the rest of the day.  How do you start your day?

Peace be with you,

2 comments:

Shiloh said...

Ooh, I love the peanut butter and banana addition. I can't eat wheat, but I might try that in grits sometime.

Jill said...

I used to love hot cereal growing up in the North of England, but now living in the tropics it doesn't have the same appeal! There's nothing quite like it though to warm you on a cold morning!


Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...