10.06.2011

Farm Fresh Friday - Pumpkin Chili

The other day, Tasha told me she loves fall.  Then announced that she loves all season and proceeded to tell me why she loves each season.  As I was listening to her reasons, I realized that even though I know summer is by far my favorite season, there are aspects of all 4 that I do enjoy.

While the days are getting shorter and cooler, it has been nice to sit outside while O-man happily plays with the leaves, and crochet or knit.  Even though the task is a bit daunting, I am looking forward to getting out my soft, cozy clothes and layer them up.  I've been doing quite a bit of knitting and crocheting lately.  I've actually been doing a lot of things I'd like to blog about... but I haven't been sitting down to the computer much!  I have tons of pictures and stories in my head, but the nice afternoons have been calling to us, so we've been enjoying them while they last.

One more thing I love about fall is soups, stews and chili, all which don't seem quite right to me to be making in the heat of the summer.  This past weekend I tried a pumpkin chili and knew I had to attempt my own version, it turned out so yummy I just had to share...

I started with some of the produce I had on hand from our CSA, onions, peppers and zucchini.  I like meat in my chili and since ground turkey was on sale this week I browned it up with the diced peppers and onions and some southwest seasoning and chopped garlic.  Next in went the zucchini and a few tomatoes from the random plant that decided to grow in my backyard (we never planted it, but got at least 50 tomatoes from it already!) with all the canned stuff I had on hand: four or five types of beans and corn and a large jar of tomato puree.  Finally time to add in a can of pumpkin puree and cinnamon.  YES, cinnamon and lots of it, I think I put in at least 2 tablespoons of it.  I started out with less, but more was better.

After letting it simmer (and making the kids help me clean up the house) it was perfection!  If I hadn't tired pumpkin chili I would have never considered pumpkin as an ingredient and I'd be majorly missing out.  From now on, pumpkin and cinnamon will always be in my chili.

Now I really need some apple cider...

Peace be with you,
 

I'll be linking up to some of these parties, stop by and check out the talent!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...