6.13.2011

Kid's Corner: Hot Dog Cupcakes

O-man's last day of school ended with a Hot Dog Picnic.  His teacher (my neighbor) asked me to make cupcakes, knowing I wouldn't just buy something.  Of course I had to make something to go with the theme!
These were actually so easy to make and the kids did a lot of the work.  Here's what you'll need:
Yummy cupcakes frosted and sprinkled, large marshmallows, caramels, brown food coloring, water, yellow frosting (I used gel in a tube... next time I will use regular frosting).

First, cut your caramels and marshmallows in half using kitchen scissors.  Snip the center of each half of the marshmallow making a place for the hot dog to go.  Have the kids roll the caramel halves turning them into the hot dog shape.
Now it's time for a little finger painting!  In a small bowl of water add brown food coloring until the water is about the same color as the caramels.  Have the kids dip their finger into the dyed water and finger paint the marshmallow halves on the rounded side (not the cut side).
Don't forget to paint the ends of your buns.  They actually went right up to the hot dog, some white showed, but this made it look more real in my opinion.
Place on top of your cupcakes and pipe a squiggly line of yellow "mustard" frosting.  I used a tube of yellow gel icing because I was too lazy to mix up the small amount of frosting I needed... mistake!  Maybe in the winter it would have been fine, but the gel had melted by the time the party started and didn't look nearly as cute.  But they still got rave reviews and tasted really yummy!
I got quite the kick out of O-man and his friends at the picnic, one little guy wouldn't eat the bun of a regular hot dog... or the marshmallow version!  I'm pretty sure he was expecting the caramel to actually be meat too!

Peace be with you,

I'll be linking up to several of these parties:

3 comments:

Jill said...

Fantastic Emily! I've NEVER seen hotdogs on cupcakes before! You're so creative!!:)

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Minoaka Mama said...

i love this idea! so creative and inventive, very cool!

Chocolate Drool and Kisses said...

So fun! I love how these look, thanks so much for linking up.
Crystal

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...