4.06.2011

WIMTWW: Dress to Tunic

I have a dress in my closet that I picked up at the thrift store last summer.  This one was actually long enough on me but I only wore it once.... why?  Well, I wore it to church on a nice summer day when we had a cook out after the service... One of the ladies took me aside and let me know I needed to stay in the shade... with the bright sunlight you could see right through my dress!!!

Back in the closet it went, until yesterday, that is.  Originally I was planning on another sweater refashion with this great coral cardi, also thrifted, but when looking for in my closet for some inspiration, I pulled out the see-thru dress and decided to use it.  I love the way this refashion turned out (and so did a lot of people, thanks for all the features!), I thought I'd do the same thing with the dress and coral cardi:
Starting with chopping off the bottom, I serged and hemmed it at a tunic length (I'm tall and short shirts are a pet peeve of mine, I have 3 kids, there is no reason for my belly to show!).
When I laid the sweater out to figure out how much of the skirt I would need to make a ruffle, I couldn't make up my mind for what exactly I wanted to do with it.  So I made a flower pin and quit!
The dress had a tie in the back, it worked OK on it, but my shiny, red leather belt worked even better!
Now I have a cute everyday outfit that will definitely get worn more than it did as a dress and another sweater out of my stash.  I also have a large piece of fabric to figure out what to do with now!  Maybe something for my girls...?

Peace be with you,

9 comments:

Blissful & Domestic said...

I am now your newest follower. Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. I have a dress similar to this. I love how you refashioned this. It looks awesome and the color is perfect for this summer:>

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

this is so cool!! LOVE the transformation!!!

I'd love for you to link this up to my new link party, Your Whims Wednesday! http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/04/your-whims-wednesday-1.html

Dawn said...

Very cute, I love it all much better than the original. I also like to refashion thrifted items. Popping in from the Pleated Poppy.

Robin Ange said...

Much better as a tunic. I love the color! Thank you for linking up to Upcycled Awesome.

Katrine said...

Oh this is so pretty and cute :)
You're talented!!

Love, Katrine

Mikalah said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the nice comment on my skirt refashion! I love what you did with that dress, it really looks amazing. It's fun to see potential in items like that!

Sommer said...

Another Wonderful project! Thanks so much for linking up to this weeks VIP Party =)

Cheers! Sommer

Sherri said...

Seriously awesome! Love the refashion. Now if I could only sew I would do something like this too.

AllieMakes! said...

Very nice! Great job!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...