4.19.2011

WIMTWW: Cleaning Up Nice!

This past weekend my husband and I went to a wedding.  It was held at an amazing old mansion in Pennsylvania and in typical Emily fashion, I started on my outfit the night before.  I originally had plans to make a whole dress from the fabric of an old bridesmaid dress.  However, Friday morning started around 4 am with a stomach virus for O-man.  Since I wasn't able to actually do much, I used my time to mentally rethink my plan... make an outfit quicker and easier in a few late nght hours versus the several hours during the day I'd planned.

Enter a few other old bridesmaid dresses (I have had 5 hanging in my closet for as many as 10 years, couldn't bear to just donate them...).  I thought I'd taken before pictures, but I'm sure you all know how days with sick kids goes... I thought I'd done a lot of things that day!

Here's what I did:
  • Shortened the hemline consdierably of the skirt from one dress.  I also let it out, it was pre-children!
  • Removed the top portion of another dress.  This was originally a two piece to begin with so it wasn't hard.  I ordered that dress prior to finding out I was pregnant... traded with another bridesmaid who's was waaaayyy too big on her when I found out I was pregnant... had it altered the week before the wedding at 5 1/2 months of pregnancy.  The woman who altered it attached the two pieces together because it wasn't laying right with my rapidly expanding second pregnancy belly.
  • Added a sash from another dressy outfit, but for the life of me can't remember which one, but I remember removing it from something!
The results:
 I had the wrap in the same color as the sash since it was a chilly day and a purse in the teal blue as well.
I did my hair all up, added some awesome Lia Sophia jewelry, and a great makeup job if I do say so myself.  Hmmm, night out with the hubby, kids at home with a sitter... bet you are wondering why I don't have a picture of me in it, right?

Two words....................... Stomach Virus!  Yup, hit me between the first and second course!  Luckily, I made it to the bathroom in time.  Thanks to my Elkins Estate Souvineer Trash Can, we made it the hour home without ruining my fancy duds...

Peace be with you,

4 comments:

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

Nice!!! You just wore like 2 bridesmaid dresses at once, you should feel very accomplished. I'm from PA! Whoho! Hope the wedding was fun :) Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday!!

Unknown said...

Great re-make! Awesome thinking on re-using your old dresses, it turned out really nice. Hope you're feeling better. Thanks for linking-
Wendy

The4Rs said...

What a great idea, and so creative and thrifty! Would you please post a link on my Linky Giveaway party? http://the4rsRamblings.blogspot.com
Thanks!
Sandy

Pam @Threading My Way said...

You've altered, upcycled and co-ordinated beautifully. It's a great outfit, Emily!!! You are game starting the day before... LOL!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...