2.01.2011

Sweater Pillows

A few weeks back I picked up some sweaters at the thrift store to make pillow covers for my living room.  Then I saw Megan's tutorial on Brassy Apple and how great her pillows turned out and I started keeping my eye out for a few more that would go with my decor.  Since I finally fixed my pillow insert problem last week, it was time to cut into the pile, ironically I didn't end up using the first sweater I got for this project, it just didn't have enough character.

Ever since I started re-doing my living room, pillows have been on my mind.  The pillows were an issue on my old couch and I wanted them to tie the colors of my downstairs together.  I have a few shirts in my stash that are horrible as shirts, but the colors are perfect and will have a better life as a pillow, but it's cold outside so those shirts will have to wait.
I have a small house, and storage is always an issue, so by using the same pillow inserts, I'm only storing the covers when not in use, allowing me to change the look out with the season, holidays, etc.  This one's my favorite, I love this little chair too:
I'm loving how the textures are all different but since they are all cable knits, they work so nicely together.  I had planned on making some of the awesome flowers like Megan did, but O-man hasn't stopped playing with the pillows I'm thinking I'll make them, attach them to pins, and wait until next year to use them.
While the blue one's my favorite, I do really like the one big cable on this one:
Look down, would that sweater you're wearing look better on a couch?  Haha!

Peace be with you,

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Love them. I will show you a pair of mittens I have that are also made of old sweaters. Very cozy.

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting "cable knit" pillow for years. TJ Maxx even priced too high for this budget. Why didn't I think to ask you to make these for me before!

Jenny Hall / Seamingly Smitten said...

Woah! These are awesome! I would have never thought of that! How do they come off though so you can save them? Thanks for linking!!
Jenny

Jenny Hall / Seamingly Smitten said...

So strange - can you link these up again? both the links you added are gone now? I love them, please show them!

Emily said...

I had planned on putting a zipper on them, but then realized it would probably be a few more weeks before that happened so I used an ever so slightly different shade of embrodry floss to stitch them shut so I can snip that and add the zippers over the summer.

Meg Brassy Apple said...

These turned out GREAT Emily! the large cable knit too! :)

I am glad my tutorial inspired you and thanks for letting me know! :)

Lindy said...

Ha! This is my first visit to your blog and I spot a fabric (the floral) that I just used in a friends house. Don't you just love it? I love your sweater pillows,too. They're great!

Teaching with Grace said...

I love these pillows! I have a whole stack of pillows that are meant especially for this purpose!

Thanks for stopping by Classic Crafter. I will definitely check out your past posts about Flying :)

Tanyia said...

These are gorgeous! I am all about everything sweater! Gorgeous

I am stopping by from What Ever Goes Wednesday, would love to have you stop by my blog and check out my project :)

http://xsurvivingmotherhoodx.blogspot.com/2011/02/my-second-quilt.html

Liz said...

These sweater pillows are awesome! I need to go thrifting!

Miranda said...

Hi Emily! These are so pretty! I have a sweater in my own stash that would be perfect for a project like this. Thanks for the inspiration.

I appreciate you stopping by lifeonhackberryroad.blogspot.com.

You have such cute ideas.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...