1.12.2011

Pancakes, Nutella and 2.7 Pounds

When I was in college, my mom would mix up the dry ingredients to her healthy pancakes, send it to me in a big zip lock bag with the rest of the recipe written on the bag.  All I had to do was add a cup of the mix to the wet ingredients, cook them up and I'd have a taste of home.

As a kid, my mom always sent us off to school after a hot breakfast.  While I always wanted to do the same, I am not a morning person, so I've never done very well at hot breakfasts during the week.  My middle one loves pancakes and would gladly live on them, especially Grammy's pancakes.  So, last weekend I got out a large Tupperware container and mixed up several batches of the dry ingredients, so all I have to do is add the wet ingredients and I can actually get pancakes on the table before school.  No school today, but we still had our pancakes!
I "try" to always make one completely random shaped pancake!
Here's the basic recipe (Mom, comment if I goofed with something):
1/2 C Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 C Ground Corn Meal
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1 C Skim Milk
2 Eggs
1/4 C Applesauce (Mom uses oil, I'm trying to slip fruits and veggies in where I can)

If you mix up multiple batches of the dry ingredients, you would add 1 Cup of the mix to the eggs, milk and applesauce.  Mix it all together, adding a bit more dry mix or whole wheat flour if you like the batter to be really thick.  I use an ice cream scoop to drop the batter onto the griddle, flip when bubbles are forming around the edge of the pancakes.  Makes about 16 pancakes (42 calories, 2.2g protein, .8g fat each per sparkpeople.com)

Now in my house, Nutella is a staple, so instead of syrup, they make Nutella Pancake Sandwiches, sometimes they use peanut butter (with or instead of) but either way, they usually have chocolaty grins when they are done.  I usually offer to put fruit in the pancakes, but they typically go for the plain ones and have their fruit on the side.

On a slightly food related note, over at Sew Chatty, Elizabeth, is hosting Weigh in Wednesday.  While I'm not using Weight Watchers, I am using sparkpeople.com to track my exercising, nutrition, recipes, etc.  I'm happy to say my family has eaten very healthy this past week and I have lost 2.7 pounds!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...